Celebrating 7 years of Musical Service!
YOUR STORIES: ALL members please submit photos, fliers, and announcements to Joan Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org by the 28th of each month.
Featured in this issue: Bertha Hope, Peggy Duquesnel Malbron, Teja Lanise, Dr. Donna Singer, Sharon Marie Cline, Mimi Johnson, Lucretia Daniel, Catherine Russell, Julie Holtzman, and Gail Jhonson
MESSAGE FROM THE DIRECTOR
June just whizzed by. The most fun we had, this month was Mimi Johnsondotnet’s Genius Ladies concert at Ferg’s 258 Bar & Lounge in East Point, GA. See the wonderful photos on Facebook. Also, check out Mimi’s stage play scheduled for July 9 in Roswell, GA, below.
Ladies and gentlemen, FYI, WIJSF dues come due every March 1. I’m sure you know how difficult it is for most of us in this downturned economy. I want to thank Lydia Harris and Peggy Duquesnel Malbron for paying their dues, last month. I encourage you to pay your dues in support of the work we do through this organization. Just go to www.wijsf.org or www.wijsf.com/join.htm and pay online. If you prefer to mail a check payable to Women in Jazz South Florida, Inc., just let me know and I’ll email you our address. Also, we now have 273 members. With your help, we can get to 300 by the year’s end, so please invite ONE friend to join us. Remember, they do not need to be a musicians to join us in our mission to promote women musicians, globally!
We’re almost at 350. Let’s pump it up over the weekend! Share this petition with all your contacts, please. Thanks, Joan – http://www.change.org/petitions/women-in-jazz-south-florida-inc-hold-a-symposium-on-women-in-arts
More BWIJ Award Winners
Cellist Shana Tucker Bassist Teja Lanise Filmmaker Janice Roshalle Littlejohn
On June 22, Téja Lanise (bass) performed with Jonelle Monae at the Hollywood Bowl and STEVIE WONDER walked onstage for a surprise performance! He SANG and PLAYED! Téja declared, “It was AMAZING! I’m still in shock! It was all I could do to contain myself onstage! Of course, I cried after the show was over. I’m just SO grateful for all these amazing, unexpected blessings in the past 6 months! I could have never dreamt this!”
Prior to being on stage with Brandy and Prince, while performing with mega-star Janelle Monae, whose group Jamanati was featured on The David Letteman Show on June 11, Téja toured with Musique Soulchild, and was a part of Amazing Musicwomen with Joan Cartwright, in 2012.
Congratulations to Dr. Donna Singer.
Auditions are over for me with NBC The Voice.
I am very happy to say that I made it to the 4th round out of 6.
It’s been a fun, crazy, wouldn’t change it for the world ‘ride’. Thanks everyone for the love and support. Next stop, international jazz festival in Nebraska with The Doug Richards Trio, not a bad gig.
Also, Donna got hired for gig in Pompano, FL, and Jazziz Jazz Club/Restaurant in Boca Raton, FL, Entertainment Manager asked me for my press kit.
Both are great establishments in South Florida, Hooray!
Extra Extra Donna Singer has recorded a video with Doug Richards Trio. Her husband, Roy Singer wrote this song with Carole Belle. This video goes live on MTV – VH1 and BET in one week, yippee!!
Lucretia Daniel just completed a tour in California and Nevada
CD RELEASES & NEWS
Sharon Marie Cline’s CD THIS IS WHERE I WANNA BE is taking a trip around the world. In the past two weeks, the album has played in Jakarta, Japan, Barcelona, Italy, London, Poland, Brazil, Venezuela, Australia, France, and in the U.S. from coast to coast, with heavy airplay in the Midwest, FL, Upstate NY, Northern CA, and on Honolulu radio in Hawaii! Sharon said, “I wish I could travel with the CD and see all of these amazing places! Putting it in my manifesting pot! I’m quite proud and grateful for the positive response the CD is receiving. In Love & Music, Sharon.” Get your copy at iTunes.com, Amazon.com, CDbaby.com or your favorite music retailer.
The 57th Grammy Online Entry opens from July 1-23, 2014 (First Round) for recordings released between October 1, 2013 to July 23, 2014. We will be submitting our fourth compilation CD of 10 fabulous female composers in several categories. If you are a voting member of The Recording Academy, we strongly suggest you vote for our CD!
- July 5 – 12: Noon to 2.00 PM – Step Up Music Vallejo Jazz Coaching and Jam lead by Ariane Cap, 51 Daniels Street @ MIRA Theater. For info: Patricia Kutza – email@example.com
- July 7-11: Golden Gate Bass Camp – Teaching with Rufus Reid, Megan McDeWitt, Patt Klobas, Richard Duke and others, www.goldengatebasscamps.com
- July 10: Concerts in the Park, Tracy with Jean Fineberg’s Party Monsters featuring Tia Carroll, Lincoln Park, 5.00 PM
- July 12: with Lara Price featuring Sweet Nectar at the Torch Club in Sacramento. http://www.torchclub.net/
- July 13: with Brian Cline Band, San Francisco http://www.briancline.com/Shows.htm
- July 14: Vallejo Community Arts Foundation Summer Camp: Step Up Music Rock Camp – http://www.vallejoarts.org/
- July 18: OoN – Bass/Bassoon duo Ariane Cap & Paul Hanson You Are Hear Series – San Francisco Airport – http://www.flysfo.com/sfocheer/you-are-hear
- July 24: Mountain View Summer Concert Series – July 24 @ 6:00 pm
- July 26: Fundraiser for the Clearwater Zendo in Vallejo, wiNick Philips vallejo – zencenter.org
- August 2nd: Musically Minded Academy – OoN Bass/Bassoon Duo Ariane Cap & Paul Hanson
Solo Piano Performance:
Friday, July 18 & Saturday, July 26
Sir Winston’s – Queen Mary
6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
1125 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802
This is a cozy listening environment and a great chance to visit and request your favorite standards!
Monday, July 21 @ 8:30 pm – JULIE’S “Ageless BDAY BASH for IFAW”BIRTHDAY BASH for JULIE HOLTZMAN – pianist / singer / arranger
Featuring BOOTS MALESON, my fave bassist in the Universe!
Wondrously diverse program will include rare & familiar gems :
- BACH : Italian Concerto
- GERSHWIN: “Summertime”
- JOBIM: ” A Felicidade” / “Happiness” ( J. Holtzman)
- MERCER: “Dream” / “Reves ” ( French/ J.Holtzman)
- FAURE: Apres un Reve (pour pno et bass) avec BOOTS!
- DEBUSSY: Clair de Lune
- J.HOLTZMAN: “Spring Fever” (Falling in love is like a hi-wired act with no net!)
- DONALDSON: “Makin Whoopie” ( YIDDISH)
- JULIE’S “Blues Mantra”/GERSHWIN:”The Man I Love”( Fr. & Catalan)/ Rhapsody in Blue
Monday, July 21 @ 8:30 pm – JULIE’S “Ageless BDAY BASH for IFAW”
For details: 212 246 3682 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- July 26 East Meredith, NY – West Kortright Centre
- Aug 8 Sacramento, CA – Harlow’s
- Aug 9 San Francisco, CA – Yoshi’s
- Aug 10 San Jose, CA – San Jose Jazz Summer Fest
- Aug 16 New York, NY – Iridium
- Sep 6 Albany, NY – Albany Riverfront Jazz Fest
- Sep 20 Cazenovia, NY – Jazz-N-Caz at Catherine Cummings Theatre
- Sep 28 Madison, NJ – Shanghai Jazz
- Oct 4 Falmouth, MA – Falmouth Jazz Festival
- Oct 5 Wellfleet, MA – Wellfleet Preservation Hall
- Oct 11 Helena, AR – King Biscuit Blues Festival (with Jimmy Vivino & Black Italians)
- Oct 18 Nancy, FRANCE – Nancy Jazz Pulsations
- Dec 13 Princeton, NJ – McCarter (Berlind) Theatre (with Ladies Sing The Blues)
Chamber Soul cello, vocals, guitar
- 19 July 2014 – ST. LOUIS, MO
Kranzberg Arts Center – 500 N Grand Blvd.
featuring Kenya (soul/jazz)
7:30 PM doors; 8:00 PM show
$12; $15 door
- 20 July 2014 – CHICAGO, IL
Uncommon Ground on Devon – 1401 Devon Ave
7:00 PM Shana | 8:00 PM Kenya
$20; RSVP strongly suggested
|7/2/2014 1:00 PM||Karen Briggs Violinist|
|7/3/2014 4:00 PM||Kim Scott Flautist|
|7/10/2014 4:00 PM||Camille Thurman Sax|
|7/17/2014 4:00 PM||Mimi Jones Bass|
|7/24/2014 4:00 PM||Shirazette Tinnin Drummer|
|7/31/2014 4:00 PM||Melissa Moonchild Stokes|
SPECIAL SHOW WITH KAREN BRIGGS ON JULY 2 @ 1 P.M.
Bertha Hope talks with musicians about her husband pianist and composer Elmo Hope
Genius Cooking with The Diva & Daughter